Skip to main content
Students home
St. Edward's was built in 1882 as a complete boarding school for boys between the ages of six and 13. In 1929, Notre Dame discontinued its grade school programs and it was remodeled into a men's residence hall. Now on the National Register of Historic Places, St. Edward's is the oldest student residence on campus. The statue in front of it represents Edward the Confessor, the English king who started Westminster Abbey and was later canonized. He holds a replica of the Basilica of the Sacred Heart.