Skip to main content
Guests homeSustainability home
Recycling Information
How do I recycle on campus?

You will notice several changes to our previous method of collecting recycling, but three are fairly significant, and when followed will have a substantial impact in helping the University reach its goal of 67% diversion by 2030:

  • Please place your recyclables in the toter, making sure they are loose and free of any plastic bags used for collecting.
  • Paper:  clean paper including newsprint, envelopes, copy paper, and magazines
  • Bottles:  clean, empty plastic items numbered 1 - 2 and glass
  • Cans:  aluminum and steel 
  • Cardboard:  flattened and empty (no wax coating or Styrofoam, please). This will be collected in a designated cart behind your building
Items not accepted in campus single-stream recycling

What does not go in the recycling bin?

  • Food and liquids
  • Plastic bags
  • Straws
  • Styrofoam
  • Hot beverage cups
  • Plastic utensils
  • Flexible packaging and multi-laminated materials
  • Sticky notes
  • Electronics including CDs
  • Used tissues, wet paper towels, and broken household items – these go in the trash!
  • Batteries and non-university cell phones
  • Toner Cartridges
Specialty Campus Recycling

For specialty item recycling:

  • Any flattened cardboard placed in a designated cart next to a trash dumpster will be picked up by Notre Dame’s recycling crew.  If you have an abundance of cardboard, please submit an AiM work order to schedule a pick-up. Note: during move-in week 2021, Notre Dame was able to collect two tons of cardboard for recycling! 
  • Electronics and Small Kitchen Appliances - For obsolete electronics, submit an AiM work order using the problem code of RECYCLING.  For all other electronics and small kitchen appliances, submit an AiM work order using the problem code SURPLUS. Smaller electronic and small kitchen appliance items MUST be in a container for pick-up.
  • Broken household items – these go in the trash!
  • Batteries and non-university cell phones: These go in the battery buckets, located in Hammes Mowbray Lobby, DeBartolo Hall Help Desk Room 115, outside the former ITC Building Computer Service and Repair Office, Rockne Memorial Building Front Desk, and the Main Building West Side Entrance Recycling Station.
  • University Cell Phones, Tablets, and Computers: submit an AiM work order using the problem code of SURPLUS to schedule a pick-up.
  • Toner Cartridges: Submit an AiM Work Request using the problem code RECYCLING to schedule a pick-up.  Please be specific to the location, the number of cartridges to be picked up, and include a contact name and phone number.
What if I am missing a recycling bin?
To request a recycling bin, please email or call (574)-631-5615
How do I recycle off-campus?
  • Non-university paint, pesticides, aerosols, products that contain mercury, and tires: These items can be disposed of through St. Joseph’s County Solid Waste Management.  Visit their website for more information about accepted materials and drop-off locations.
  • Paper/Plastic/Glass/Aluminum: Single stream is common off-campus but please check your local township for specifics on accepted items: City of Mishawaka and South Bend
  • CFL light bulbs: Intact bulbs can be disposed of at St. Joseph’s County Solid Waste Management Household Hazardous Waste drop-off site as well as some local hardware stores.
  • Electronics & Appliances:  The Solid Waste Management District of St. Joseph County collects obsolete electronics at the District Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) location, and all electronics are accepted free of charge. Best Buy also accepts outdated electronics for recycling (some are accepted free of charge, some are accepted for recycling for a fee).  Please check their website before visiting.

Any general questions, please contact the Office of Sustainability via email at