Skip to main content
Guests homeHistory of ND home
Tour Detail
Log Chapel
Built by Fr. Stephen Badin as a mission to the local Indians, it was the only building present when Fr. Sorin - the founder of Notre Dame - arrived here in 1842. It was also the only construction on campus until Old College was built a year later. The modern day chapel was built in 1906 as a faithful replica of the original one, that was destroyed by a fire in 1856. it is still used for masses and celebrations, and it hols the burial of Fr. Badin.